RUSSELL T DAVIES PUTS CAREER ON HOLD

russell t davies

Russell T Davies has spoken to the Pink News to reveal that he has moved back to the UK after finding out that his boyfriend has been diagnosed with brain cancer.

“There we were, living in LA and loving it, I had shows lined up and everything when Andrew started to get these headaches. We wondered if it was the change of city, the water or the fact he wasn’t working. It was getting bad so we decided he’d see a doctor when we came back in August for a three-week holiday. He went to the doctor, who sent him for a scan. When we got the results they told us he had cancer of the brain. They needed to operate straight away. Three days later he was having surgery. That’s where we are now. He’s had thirty consecutive days of radiotherapy and chemotherapy and we’ve got six months of chemotherapy ahead of us. He’s not allowed to drive. The lives we had in LA just sort of closed down overnight. All of my stuff, my computers and clothes were over there. We had to have everything shipped over here in crates. We were lucky we never sold our house in Manchester. Lo and behold we’re now a ten minute drive from Europe’s best cancer hospital.”

Russell then goes on to reveal he is taking a break from writing and producing shows, this of course sadly including Torchwood.

“I’ve stopped work, I haven’t worked since August. We’re lucky we’ve got enough money in the bank that, if need be, I can take the whole of next year off. I’ve always been a good saver. I’ve always had that mentality that you’ve got to be ready for a rainy day. People keep asking me if I’ve really stopped working. I used to work so hard you see, they think I must be secretly working on something, but I’m not. It was a simple decision: he’s more important. Who gives a f**k about writing scripts if I can stay at home with him and make his day a bit happier?  I don’t know when I’ll start work again. I’ve got see how Andrew’s health goes.”

Russell’s hiatus also casts doubt on a future series of Torchwood. He tells me that Miracle Day, the show’s fourth season, didn’t do brilliantly. Reviews were mixed. With the head of American-partner Starz on record as saying he’d only bring back Torchwood if Russell was part of it, the outlook for the series is uncertain at best.

TARDIS Base gives our best wishes to Russell and Andrew.