RTD TALKS TORCHWOODS FUTURE

image

Russell T Davies spoke to the Guardian about Torchwoods new co-production deal with Starz, the budget this series has and he also talked a bit about his future with the show. Read an extract from the interview below.

"The very interesting thing will be, what if it does well on Starz but doesn't do well on BBC1? Or if the BBC1 money is tight and they have to take money away – does it become entirely a Starz production, which means they have to own the rights? Would the BBC do that? Would they actually give away rights to an existing property?"

"We've got a lovely budget. We had roughly twice the budget [of previous Torchwood series] but then everything costs twice as much, and you work twice as hard to stop it being spent," Davies says. "You wrangle over money far more than I have ever done here."

"In theory I could have handed it over to a bunch of strangers and said good luck to them – and if there was another series I might do that because I think there's only so long you can spend doing Torchwood. It's hugely exciting and I've got to do this again. I've got one more story that I can tell – just one more that has Gwen right at the centre of it – that would be fantastic. So I'm my own worst enemy."