TORCHWOOD ‘MIGHT COME BACK AS A SPECIAL’

image

Eve Myles and Kai Owen spoke to the Independent to talk about what’s next for Torchwood, and the possibility of Torchwood crossing over into Doctor Who for the 50th anniversary in 2013. See what they had to say below:

What’s next for ‘Torchwood’?

KO: Who knows? It would be different. It might come back as a special.

EM: I think the next step would be a movie. We change every year. We have to change every year to keep it fresh and different and keep people interested because by the third, fourth, fifth series of ‘Lost’, ‘Sopranos’ however good they are, they’re extraordinary, but you know what you’re going to get. With ‘Torchwood’ we can live up to the name that you never know what you’re going to get.

KO: They can do whatever they want with the show.

EM: He [Russell T. Davies] amalgamated a wonderful kind of genre and it has been done before with ‘Buffy the Vampire Slayer’. He amalgamated Sci-Fi with really strong domestic drama and you’ve got characters in there that are normal and ordinary dealing with extraordinary circumstances which people find fascinating. We had 5 million every week, watching it and dedicated fans, people who had never seen Sci-Fi in their life. My mum’s in her 60s, my father’s in his 60s, they’ve never watched ‘Star Trek’ and they just got it. They had people within it that they could connect with.

KO: Because it has that real heart in the middle of it that Russell writes, real people and the fantastical element of it all. People who have no interest in Sci-Fi will sit and watch and be glued to ‘Torchwood’.

EM: I feel very honoured to be a part of it and whatever happens in the future happens. But up to this point, I’m very honoured to have played Gwen Cooper and am very honoured to have been led by John Barrowman and Russell T. Davies and Julie Gardner.

KO: I completely second that. It’s the best job ever and if they wanted to do five more years of ‘Torchwood’ or ten more years of ‘Torchwood’ and they wanted me in as part of it, if I was lucky enough to be a part of it, I would do it every time.

In 2013 ‘Doctor Who’ will be celebrating its 50th anniversary, will ‘Torchwood’ be playing a part in it?

EM: I wouldn’t have thought so. We have lots of adult themes running in ‘Torchwood’ and I think it would be inappropriate for us to have anything to do with ‘Doctor Who’ because it’s predominantly a family programme. I think that where ‘Torchwood’ is, it deals with darker subjects and I think inter-mixing them, if they want to do that, then fine but I can tell you that I’m not involved in it – they won’t give me guns or a bazooka.

Read the full interview here.