UPDATED: CAST PAY TRIBUTE TO LIS SLADEN

elisabethMatt Smith has joined the long list of people paying tribute to Elisabeth Sladen, who died of cancer last night. Matt Smith said: "What struck me about Lis was her grace. She welcomed me, educated me, and delighted me with her tales and adventures on Doctor Who. And she also seemed to have a quality of youth that not many people retain as they go through life. Her grace and kindness will stay with me because she had such qualities in abundance and shared them freely." He continued: "I will miss her, as will the world of Doctor Who and all the Doctors that had the good pleasure to work with Lis Sladen and travel the universe with Sarah-Jane."

David Tennant said: “I just can’t believe that Lis is gone. She seemed invincible. The same woman who enchanted my childhood, enchanted my time on Doctor Who and enchanted generations who have watched her and fallen in love with her, just like I did. I feel very honoured to have shared a Tardis with Sarah Jane Smith, and I feel very lucky to have shared some time with Lis Sladen. She was extraordinary.”

Tom Baker said: “Sarah Jane dead?  No, impossible!  Impossible.  Only last week I agreed to do six new audio adventures with her for Big Finish Productions. She can’t be dead.  But she is: she died yesterday morning.  Cancer.  I had no idea she was ill; she was so private, never wanted any fuss, and now, gone.  A terrible blow to her friends and a shattering blow for all those fans of the programme whose lives were touched every Saturday evening by her lovely heroic character, Sarah-Jane Smith. Those sweet memories of happy days with Lis Sladen, the lovely, witty, kind and so talented Lis Sladen.  I am consoled by the memories.  I was there, I knew her, she was good to me and I shall always be grateful, and I shall miss her.”

John Barrowman said: “I loved my time on the TARDIS with her. I am proud to have worked with such an icon of the sci fi world, your Doctor Who family are very sad and will miss you and your beautiful smile. She lived in my Flat in Cardiff when she was filming SJA she was a delight.”

Noel Clarke said: “I hope that Elisabeth will rest in peace. As someone who knew her., I always found her lovely. She’ll be missed.”

Russell T Davies, creator of The Sarah Jane Adventures spoke to BBC News about the untimely death of the great actress, watch in the video below.

CBBC will pay tribute to Sarah Jane after Doctor Who on Saturday, more here.